Friday 2 July 2010

Heavy Petting at Trof NQ


Mof Gimmers has been our resident Friday night DJ at Trof in the Northern Quarter for the last year. Heavy Petting (the name of the night) perfectly reflects Mof and his brilliantly diverse taste and skewed outlook on life. Unlike most DJ's, he turns up with no agenda, no ego and pound for pound; the best record bag in Manchester. We interviewed him on Facebook chat and here's what he had to say...

How long have you been DJing at Trof NQ now?
Not sure. Over a year for certain. I think I might be the longest serving member of staff up there.

And what percentage of your DJing life does that make up?
I started off there doing Revenge of the Cat People which was a garage/psych night, but Heavy Petting steamrollered it out of the way. What percentage? I'm no good at Maths. I've got dyscalculia.

But overall... how long have you been 'a DJ' or 'someone that plays records?'
I've been DJing since I was 10. Scratching my mum's old records 'til they looked like rice paper... moving onto my older brother's Eric B & Rakim LPs and Electro comps. Then, making my way to techno and acid house and all that jive. I first played in front of a crowd when I was 10 or 11. I got paid in multipack crisps and a bottle of Fanta. Slave labour you might say. So, yeah. 20 years I've been DJing.

I think likening DJing to being a slave is a touch tasteless, but I'll forgive you cos you're from Bolton
I was whipped whilst I played and racially slurred by people the same colour as me. That's if 'lanky twat' counts as a racial slur.

It's not racial but being one of the tall community myself, it's offensive. 'lanky' wouldn't bother me...but linking it up with 'twat'... that's the rub. Heavy Petting seems to be gaining a cult following... what sets you aside from the rest of the Northern Quarter on a Friday night?
Well, a lot of DJs can be surly and pretentious. They sulk when they get asked for a request. I rather enjoy DJing and pretty much have time for anyone who comes to the decks for a chat. I guess that's one thing that has been noted by other people. Someone came up to me a while ago and said "I can't believe it! You're enjoying yourself!"

Even if they're asking for the Killers?
People can ask for whatever they want. I might not have it, but I won't scowl at them for asking for something they like. That includes the women who tried to lamp me because I didn't have Paulo Frutini.

What's the best request you've ever had?
The best requests are often the ones that people feel (for whatever reason) embarrassed about. A goth girl sheepishly asked for some Madonna, and when I played 'Into The Groove', she went nuts. By the same token, some guy nearly fainted when I played Captain Beefheart.

There's something refreshing about hearing The Captain and Madonna side by side.
They're both the same thing really, provided you're not playing something from Trout Mask Replica. 'Zig Zag Wanderer' sounds like a Madonna 45 being played at 33.

So aswell as being a famous DJ, you're a writer... what've you got on at the moment?
String vest, cycling shorts, a Cameo cod-piece and some Bolton Wanderers sweat bands. Writing-wise though, I've been slagging off Big Brother and staring curiously at ITV's World Cup coverage. Jim Beglin's employment status is, quite frankly, baffling.

You managed to raise £21,000 for Frank Sidebottom's funeral. That's gonna be a hell of a bash now... did you expect that kind of success?
I helped. A lot of people raised that money. I knew there would be a decent response, but £20k+ is outrageously good. I've already heard rumours of the coffin being shaped like his head There's a big send-off at Castlefield arena on Thursday, which should be emotional, but fun.

How did you know him?
I didn't. I did it purely as a fan. I've met him a coupla times, but just about everyone in Manchester has met him at some point. That's why everyone loved him.

You're a sweetheart!
Underneath this veneer of jaded cynicism, I'm actually quite nice.

What's the best album in the world ever and the worst?
My favourite album is, typically for a shit-head muso like me, an obscure one. David Wiffen's eponymous LP is the one I keep going back to. If you want something people have heard of, then the first Wu Tang album is tough to beat. The worst? Has Gideon Conn got an album out yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment